The new updated version of AndFirewall BETA has been published in Android Market. The updated version is 1.2. The updates and fixes include the following
- Minimized the popup message display of beta warning: The beta warning popup of two has been reduced to a single time.
- Completely changed the network info data display: The network information display has been completely revamped to provide details in more brief way and provides real time update of network usage status.
- Updated the system logviewer for real time log display: The system logviewer feature has also been reprogrammed to provide real time output as that of logcat.
- Sorted application list: The application list in both whitelist and blacklist mode has been sorted according to alphabetical order for easy discovery.
- New application icon: The application has got a new icon.
- Support for Android 2.2: The application now supports android 2.2 Froyo
Please provide feedback for the same.
The application has got a new feature for resetting the password in case the user forgets the password. This done by sending the password reset code as SMS to predefined mobile number provided by the user while setting the password. The recovery mobile number is an optional feature but its highly recommended to provide the number.
There has been few other fixes in the application. The new version is available for download. Currently available for Android 2.3. Please give feedback for any bugs.
As part of fixing the whitelisting part of the application the GUI has undergone few changes. The following screen shots shows the changes in the GUI. An extra button called BUILD has been introduced. The user has to first click the BUILD button to build the firewall rules and then click the SAVE button to save back to the system.
The new version of the app is not available right now. Will be soon uploading the app. Keep visiting my blog:)
There was a critical logic error in the white listing section. The error has been fixed and successfully tested. The updated apk files will be available soon. Rest of the application is working fine as intended.
The following are the permissions used in Android Firewallandroid.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE android.permission.READ_LOGS android.permission.CHANGE_WIFI_STATE android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
You can find the second checked permission “Your personal information” it doesn’t mean that it will read any contact data or any confidential data stored in the sdcard. It will only read the system generated log messages which is one of the essential component of the application.
The application is completely safe to use and uses less system resources . Tested in LG GT540 , HTC Wildfire and HTC HD2.
*Minor changes made in the application such as checking for root binary during the device boot up.
*Few changes in the Toast messages.
Recently i found an issue regarding the password dialog. The password keeps on displaying again and again when the back button is pressed. I am trying my best to resolve it.
And in the settings menu there are two checkboxes in the CONNECTIVITY SERVICES in that the second checkbox for “3G/EDGE Service” is non functional. It will only be set checked when the 3G/EDGE Service is active. Rest of the functions are working fine. No more further issues noted. If you find any bugs or issues please do kindly report.
PLEASE NOTE THE APPLICATION IS STILL IN ITS DEVELOPMENT STAGE SO BUGS AND ERRORS ARE BOUND TO OCCUR. PLEASE REPORT FOR ANY ISSUES SO THAT I CAN IMPROVE FURTHER!